Saks Baptist Church is a part of the historic Independent Baptist movement. While we take a strong stand on spiritual matters, we believe that the Gospel should be presented in a friendly environment, with clarity and creativity. In short, we agree with the words of the apostle Paul, that the church should be “speaking the truth in love.” (Ephesians 4:15)
The origin of the Church dates back to August 27, 1953. On that day a group of people from the Saks Community met in the home of Mr. Homer Braden. That meeting led to others, and on September 19, 1953 the decision was made to create a new church for the community. On October 4, 1953, at a meeting at Saks High School the new church was formally established.
IMPORTANT DATES IN OUR HISTORY
- June 1954: Moved from the school onto the old church property in what is now the old basement
- September 1955: The church auditorium is completed
- November 1974: The church auditorium is enlarged and an educational wing added.
- August 1975: The church purchases a 10-acre tract of land off Hwy 431 for youth activities now known as the Bible Camp
- June 1992: The church purchased 14 acres on Hwy 431 for future relocation
- March 31, 2002: Final service is held at the old church location
- April 2002 – August 2003: Church is temporarily relocated to the Bible Camp
- September 7, 2003: The first service was held at the new church facility
- September 8, 2013: The church celebrates its 10th anniversary in the new building
- October 6, 2013: The church celebrates its 60th anniversary